Wednesday, May 5, 2010

May 5: Denver, CO to Salina, UT

Going west through Colorado is a very pretty drive. You get to the Rockies, and some of the mountains still have snow on them. According to one of the guys at New Belgium, there's even one mountain still open for skiing. In May. After the snow, with almost no transition, you switch to the desert-type mountains and rock formations that are reminiscent of Arizona and New Mexico.

By mid afternoon, I'd made it to Arches National Park near Moab, UT. Of the three national parks I've been to on this trip, Arches would have to be my favorite. All sorts of great scenery. I loved the contrast of the desert landscapes with the snow-capped mountains in the background. There's a bunch of trails and viewpoints that are actually pretty distinct from each other. Anyway, here's pictures.







Balance Rock (I think)

Petrified Dunes


Delicate Arch


Skyline Arch


Tunnel Arch


Pine Tree Arch


Landscape Arch



Leaving the park, I got back onto I-70 headed west. I passed by an exit with gas, food, etc. I knew I'd need gas before getting to my hotel that night, but I figured I could wait a while longer. A few miles down the road, I see a sign that says "No services on I-70 next 100 miles." Fuuuuck. I get off at the next exit and backtrack 11 miles to get gas so that I don't get stranded in the desert somewhere.

Hey Utah, here's a thought. Actually, two. First, build some goddamn gas stations. Second, if you're not going to have a gas station for 100 miles, maybe you should let people know about it before they pass the last exit with a gas station.

Also, we appear to be on the verge of a tornado here in Salina. Earlier tonight, I pulled up to my hotel room and tried to get out of the car. But the wind wasn't really down with that plan. I push the door open, which required some force, but as soon as I let go, the wind slams it shut. Hopefully my car will still be there in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment